Who is PALLAS?
The Foundation Preparation Pallas-reactor (PALLAS) is designing and building a multifunctional reactor for the production of (medical) isotopes and for conducting nuclear technological research. This reactor will replace the current High Flux Reactor (HFR) in Petten (NL) to guarantee the security of supply for millions of patients worldwide.
PALLAS wants to build its future together with Foundation NRG (NRG). We both have the ambition to continue and enforce the Dutch position as a worldwide top producer of radiopharmaceuticals in Petten, 50km north of Amsterdam in the Netherlands. We are doing this with the realisation of the FIELD-LAB (a research facility for the development of new medicines), the new PALLAS-reactor and the Nuclear Health Centre (a new production facility for processing therapeutic isotopes). The diagnosis market remains a spearhead, but the focus will mainly be on innovations and expanding the production chain for therapeutic isotopes. Through the collaboration with various national and international university hospitals and knowledge institutions, Petten is to become a breeding ground in Europe for new nuclear medicine. This results in new treatments that can help implement customised patient therapy.
PALLAS aspires to become a high-reliability organisation with the skills and capability to deliver its mission and vision through its core values, whilst ensuring that its safety, security and quality objectives are always achieved. We apply our unique knowledge and experience to benefit society by taking an interest in our stakeholders.
PALLAS is composed of colleagues coming from all over the world, bringing together a unique set of knowledge and experience. Everyone in PALLAS is required to take personal responsibility for the safety of themselves and of anyone who is directly or indirectly affected by their actions. A high safety culture is continuously built by the organisation.
The main role of PALLAS is being the Intelligent Customer and this entails overseeing the use of specialised contractors and subcontractors responsible for the design, construction and operation of the PALLAS-reactor.
The PALLAS reactor systems engineer, supports the PALLAS lead reactor systems engineer to maintain oversight of the design. This means support in monitoring of the delegated Design Authority and support in ensuring the right design delivered by the contractors enabling the PALLAS-reactor’s mission. The right design includes a design that is constructible, commissionable, operable, maintainable and decommission-able as per the PALLAS drivers.
Oversight includes providing inputs to the design, assessing the design against the PALLAS technical requirements and inputs, guiding the designer to implement requirements in an integrated balanced way, coordinating external interfaces, interfacing with licensing on conventional permits as well as supporting Safety Demonstration, Licensing, Project Management Office, Quality, Procurement, and Licensing under the supervision of the lead reactor systems engineer.
As a Reactor Systems Engineer, your tasks will include:
- Support Owner of requirements (Reactor) by defining and/or understanding the systems requirements.
- Support Owner of Design (Reactor) providing design inputs to the contractor, ensuring the contractor uses the correct inputs, and ensuring the design complies to the requirements , using engineering judgement to assess the methodology/design criteria/design approach, ensuring the preliminary safety analysis report (PSAR) is aligned with the design, overseeing external interfaces, ensuring the design is construct-able, commissionable, operable, maintainable and decommission-able.
- Support Intelligent Customer Service (Reactor) by reviewing and accepting the design baseline for reactor systems.
- Support Owner of Design Baseline (Reactor) by reviewing and accepting the design baseline for reactor systems.
- Support Subject Matter Lead (Reactor) by applying expert knowledge in review of the design, application of codes and standards (C&S) and identifying technical risks.
In your role you will have responsibilities in the area described below.
- Right Design review: Support Lead in performing right design reviews on detailed design deliverables:
- Procurement packages
- Manufacturing packages
- Construction packages
- Test & inspection plans
- Selected design information
- Monitoring performance of delegated design authority: Support Lead in monitoring the performance of the delegated design authority by conducting audits and checks on systems to identify risks associated or corrective actions with the system.
- Correct Design: Support Lead to use engineering judgement to perform correct designs reviews on a high level considering the following:
- Correctness of design input used.
- Correctness approach/methodology used.
- Correctness of Verification & Validation (V&V) approach and outcome of the V&V process.
- Correctness of design output.
- Interfacing with PALLAS appointed third party reviewers.
We are looking for Subject Matter Experts, who is:
- Knowledgeable in the requested field taking responsibility of your assigned tasks and systems.
- Proactive and solution orientated.
- Able to work in a team, work with stakeholders and do efficient reporting to her/his manager.
- Worked with contractors before.
You have a degree in Mechanical Engineering and at least 5 years of professional experience.
You have relevant experience (12 months or more) in one or more of the following projects:
- Nuclear Research reactor in Argentina, Brazil, Australia, Germany (FRM) or Belgium (BR II).
- NPP Reactor (preferably pressurized water reactor – PWR – type): design, manufacturing, construction, commissioning, operations.
Languages: English (spoken and written)
You have previous working experience for an “Intelligent customer” and are able to understand the position as an Owner or as a client.
You have also experience in the following technology:
- Open pool type research reactors
- Design of Core support structures
- Design control
- Interface management
- System engineering principles
In your role you will oversee the design of mechanical components. You will not perform the design work but you will need to assess whether the design fulfills the requirements.
As a result, a basic knowledge of the following Codes & Standards is preferred:
- ASME BPVC Section VIII div. 1
- ASME BPVC Section VIII div. 2
- ASME BPVC Section III Subsections NCA, NB, NC, ND, NF, NG
- ASME B31.1
- ASME B31.3
What we offer
PALLAS offers a very competitive salary ranging from € 3.500 – 4.500 gross per month plus holidays allowance (8%), to be discussed depending on your education and experience.
If you are moving from abroad, PALLAS offers a full relocation package.
If you have questions about the position, please contact our HR department. You can send an e-mail to Maartje Hageman via email@example.com or call +31 (0)88 20 24 024.
An AIVD screening (level B) is part of the selection process. More information about the screening can be found on: https://english.aivd.nl/.